This residency opportunity arranged in conjunction with partner institutions Castlefield Gallery, Manchester, and The International 3, Salford, is intended to encourage critical and creative forms of art writing (its production, display, and reception) relating to wider social and philosophical issues and contexts. Applications are encouraged from a broad spectrum of writers including recent graduates, early career writers and emerging artist-writers employing writing as their practice medium. Based at Castlefield Gallery, the writer-in-residence will have the opportunity to develop their own writing and contribute to Castlefield Gallery’s wider programme, diversifying their experience of writing in art organisational settings and developing public programmes.
The successful applicant will spend at least 10 days at Castlefield Gallery, contributing the following:
- Writing a 1,200 word piece of extended art writing that broadly and creatively responds to Andrew McDonald’s upcoming solo exhibition (28 April – 11 June).
- Develop and deliver a public event during the exhibition period exploring their research and writing.
- Participate in a half-day public workshop on critical art writing during the exhibition period.
- Attend the launch of the related residency publication in September.
Corridor8 and Castlefield Gallery will provide:
- A residency space available to the writer-in-residence at Castlefield Gallery between 28 April – 11 June.
- Mentoring and editorial support throughout the residency from Corridor8 and Castlefield Gallery.
- Mentoring sessions and professional feedback from one established writer.
- Inclusion of the final text produced by the writer during the residency within a limited edition printed publication alongside essays by established writers, to be launched in September.
Applicants must be based in the North of England, at an early stage of their career and have a genuine interest in working closely with artists, writers, curators and editors to evolve their writing practice.
Proposals will be evaluated on the basis of the candidates’ suitability to the residency and quality of writing. The selection panel is comprised of James Schofield (Corridor8), Helen Wewiora (Castlefield Gallery), Laurence Lane and Paulette Terry Brien (The International 3), and Andrew McDonald (Artist).
Supported by Arts Council England, Castlefield Gallery and The International 3.
Please apply via CuratorSpace.